Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What's Up with Wal-Mart?

The story broke a few days ago that apparently Wal-Mart is strongly suggesting that having a Democratic President would be bad, as it would most likely make it easier for its hourly workers to unionize, something Wal-Mart would like to avoid.

Now, I should set a few things straight. I have nothing against Wal-Mart. I even worked there for a few years. I don't think they need a union, and I don't think they treat workers unfairly. However, Wal-Mart is right, passing any sort of legislation making it easier to unionize, would probably bring about a union. This would be bad for all of us, because Wal-Mart's prices would have to increase. I for one, could do without that.

However, the mixed message comes from news that Wal-Mart is giving more money to Democrats than Republicans. Why? I think the answer is simple. Wal-Mart knows the Senate and House will most likely remain in Democratic hands this November, why pay-off someone who won't be around to fight for you?

No comments: